Discover several ways on how to lighten eyebrows with makeup, hydrogen peroxide, lemon, bleach and even naturally at home.
How to Lighten Eyebrows
However, there are a few things to keep in mind if you are considering lightening your brows with bleach:
- They will go through the same color tone changes as your hair and therefore may also become brassy and orange as your hair would.
- You will also have to go through a period of regrowth where half your brow hairs will be light and half will be dark.
- You may feel that it will wash your face out because of the lighter color but you will get used to it.
- Also never ever use hair bleach on your brows because the formula is not thick enough and may drip into your eyes. We don’t want bleach in our eyes.
Lightening eyebrows with makeup is the easiest and fastest fix when you want a softer look as opposed to the bold dark eyebrows. Most people dye their hair color but almost always forget that their eyebrows still scream the original hair color.
For some, lightening eyebrow hair may sound like a crazy idea but this is the easiest way to strike a balance between the big hairs of the head and softer smaller hairs of the brows. However, matching your brow and hair color can make you look very plastic and fake.
Experts advise that the best way should be going several shades lighter than your hair color. This creates a warm balance and might help create the impression of a flat face Lightening eyebrow with makeup is the easiest and fastest fix when you want a softer look as opposed to the bold dark eyebrows.
Most people dye their hair color but almost always forget that their eyebrows still scream the original hair color. For some, lightening eyebrow hair may sound like a crazy idea but this is the easiest way to strike a balance between the big hairs of the head and softer smaller hairs of the brows.
However, matching your brow and hair color can make you look very plastic and fake. Experts advise that the best way should be going several shades lighter than your hair color. This creates a warm balance and might help create the impression of a flat face
How to Lighten Eyebrows with Makeup
Make your eyebrows look lighter with a few easy makeup tricks, starting with a simple colored eyebrow gel. Use a product with a strong tint for darker eyebrows. A tinted eyebrow powder with a matte finish can have similar effects, but stay away from any type of glitter unless it’s for a dramatic evening look.
Using a lighter eyebrow pencil color can also make your lashes look better. Even if they’re completely black, use a taupe pencil color to get a new glow. This is the simplest and easiest method ever of how to lighten eyebrow
- Trimming and Shaping Eyebrows
The current light eyebrow trend requires you to keep eyebrow growth to a minimum but doesn’t mean you have to wax it all off or pluck away until there’s nothing left. Simply clean-up your eyebrow line as much as possible, until it looks thin and groomed in readiness for the next steps.
- Coloring Eyebrows with a light Pencil
If you want to lighten your eyebrow color, buy a brow pencil that is a couple of shades lighter than your natural hair color. Dark brown hair is complemented by a warm brown for eyebrow shades. Fill in your eyebrow line with the pencil until you have covered the area completely. To achieve a softer, more natural look, try using a lighter colored eyeshadow instead of a brow pencil.
- Filling in Eyebrows with a Brow Gel
Buy a brow gel of the same shade as the pencil or eyeshadow you used to fill in your eyebrows. Use the brow gel like you would use mascara, drawing the brush across from the start of your brows along the arch to the end of your brows. The blending is the most important effect you want to achieve here.
To make it look natural, you could use a clean mascara wand after you have applied the brow gel to brush through your eyebrow hairs before the gel has set and tinted your eyebrows. It works without creating a bleaching effect or leaving the characteristic smell.
How to Lighten Eyebrows with Hydrogen Peroxide
Bleaching your eyebrows is usually done with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution poured on a cotton swab. If you’re trying to lighten your eyebrows for the first time, you might only want to keep it on for a couple of minutes, or just swab each eyebrow daily for a more gradual change in color.
Whether you decide to lighten your eyebrows with hydrogen peroxide, with a more natural way or have them dyed at a salon, don’t expect a big change at first and don’t overdo it, because they shed faster than regular hair and you might end up with a messy look.
You shouldn’t ask for exactly the same color as your hair, as that combination tends to wash out your features
Hydrogen peroxide is a bleach in most homes and has many uses including whitening dark skin. It is the safest active bleach to use for eyebrow lightening.
You should, however, be very careful not to get any into your eyes. Lightening eyebrows can give your face a whole new look. For those who are not sure about professional breaches, hydrogen peroxide is the easiest, safest and most natural way of how to lighten eyebrows
- 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Cotton pads
- Q tips
- Saturate your q-tip in the Hydrogen peroxide (make sure none is dripping off so you don’t get it into your eye)
- Gently go over our eyebrows combing then in the direction they normally sit
- Leave on anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, If you have light fine and/or sparse eyebrows you will need to leave it on for a very short amount of time, the darker and thicker your eyebrows the more time is needed.
- 4. You may need to reapply the hydrogen peroxide if you have darker eyebrows as it will dry. Because the hydrogen peroxide is clear you will see what color your eyebrows are and when you have achieved your desired shade.
- 5. When you have achieved your desired shade, wet a cotton pad in cold water and wipe the eyebrows
- 6. Follow with a cold water rinse of your brows.
How to Lighten Eye Brows with Lemon Juice
Using lemon juice on eyebrows is as effective as it is on hair. You may have to apply lemon juice several times since it is not as intense as the above-mentioned methods. Lemon juice works by stripping off the natural melanin pigment in your hair, leaving your eyebrows a shade lighter than before.
For a more intense reaction, you’d have to leave the lemon juice on your eyebrows and go sunbathing.
- If you are blonde with dark brows and want to lift the color a little, beware of going too far: soft taupe or sandy color are fine, as you won’t lose contrast with your skin and hair. Anything lighter than that and you end up looking washed-out and colorless.
- Brown-eyed brunettes can make their eyes pop by lightening their eyebrow color by a couple of shades. It creates the illusion that your eye color is actually deeper than it is, drawing attention to the eyes away from hair and the rest of the face.
How to Lighten Eyebrows Naturally, at Home
Eyebrows should never be colored with regular hair dye and before coloring them at the salon, try an easy natural method. Mix equal parts chamomile tea and lemon juice and gently apply to your eyebrows daily for gradual and natural results.
Lightening your eyebrows with bleach is something you can do at home with a few simple tools and a little time. You’ll need to have a steady hand and the space in which to work. Whether you’re wanting to try the dramatic runway look of bleaching your entire eyebrow, or simply using bleach to lighten and shape an unruly eyebrow, bleaching your eyebrows is a process you can do at home.
The recent color and contrast trend looks great. However, bleached or tinted brows do not always look good on everyone. Many people dread salon treatments for lightening eyebrows as no one is ever sure if the outcome.
If you want to know how to lighten eyebrows naturally at home, you have probably tried commercial bleach or hair dye and got awful results.
Are there natural ways to lighten eyebrows? For those weary of hair dye and bleach like, you will be glad to know that there are safe ways to lighten eyebrows naturally at home. Those commonly used are; raw honey, lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide as discussed below
Lemon juice is as effective as it is on hair. Not as intense and you might need to use it several times to get preferred results. It strips off the natural melanin pigment leaving your brows a shade lighter. This reaction is not as intense unless you walk out in the sun still wearing lemon on your eyebrows.
Raw honey contains traces of hydrogen peroxide that is slowly released when you dilute it with water. There are some people who swear to have got positive results after using a mixture of honey and cinnamon to lighten eyebrows. However, I bet this is the last thing you want close to your eyes. Cinnamon can be very painful when it gets into the eyes.
Henna is a natural alternative that can be used in place of hair dyes and tints to lighten eyebrows. It may not work on every hair type especially the dark, thick and coarse hair type. Try to put on oil first to avoid staining your skin. Use a mascara brush to minimize contact with the skin. Do not leave it on for too long. 20 minutes should be enough to give a nice shade. Note that the color effect does fade out too quickly making this not the best natural brow lightening option.
You can use the below methods as a way to Creating Your Perfect Eyebrows naturally;
- Lemon & Honey Paste
Mix freshly squeezed lemon juice with honey until you get a paste which you’ll apply on the area you want to lighten and leave on to work its magic over the next 20 minutes. I’m sure you already knew about the bleaching effects of lemon juice – right? Well, now you know that it can help you lighten unwanted hair as well! This great mask won’t sting or cause a rash which means you can repeat it as often as you want
- Tomato Juice Mask
Want more natural, interesting hair lightening techniques? Well, definitely give tomato juice a shot! All you have to do is to apply slices of tomato all over the area you want to lighten and leave them on for about 5-10 minutes. Keep in mind that the effect of this hair lightening technique depends on the color of hair which means that darker hair might require 2-3 applications.
- Papaya & Milk Mask
Here’s another cool homemade product that will lighten unwanted hair and moisturize your skin as a bonus! All you’ll have to do is to blend papaya’s flesh, add milk to it and use this paste to massage your face (or any other area you want to lighten and moisturize). Your massage should be done in soft circular movements and last about 10 minutes after which you’ll let the mask sit for another 10 minutes before rinsing it off.
How to Lighten Eyebrows with and Without Bleach
How to Lighten Eyebrows with Bleach
If you prefer to use the traditional bleach method, this is how it’s done:
- Buy facial bleach from any beauty supply store. Facial bleach comes as a cream and is normally used to lighten people’s upper lip hair.
Follow the instructions for mixing the cream, but be sure not to get any on your skin. Bleach can be very harsh, so use sparingly or you’ll end up with platinum blonde eyebrows.
- Before applying to your eyebrows, do a patch test, using a tiny bit of the mixed cream along your jawline. Allow working for a full minute. You may feel a tingling sensation, but unless you come out in a severe burning reaction, it is safe to leave on. Otherwise, wash off instantly.
- Follow up with a second patch test by putting a small dab of the cream on an area of hair towards the end of your eyebrows. Be very careful indeed not to get any of the cream into your eyes, or you could end up with permanent damage to your eyesight. Leave the dye to work on your eyebrow hair for one minute. If no adverse reaction such as hair falling out or burning of skin occurs, continue with the following steps.
- Apply the cream on one eyebrow. Use a timer, as soon as you’re done, set it for one minute. Wipe off the cream mixture completely at the end of that minute.
- Continue applying and wiping off the cream in one-minute intervals. Make a note how many times you’ve used the cream so you’ll know what to do for the second eyebrow. Check each time by how much your eyebrow hair has turned lighter in shade.
- By doing just one eyebrow at a time, you have a chance to compare the desired effect with your natural color – you don’t want to lighten eyebrows too strongly or it will look very unnatural.
- Don’t leave bleach on for too long, or you run the risk of ending up with orange, platinum blonde or yellow eyebrows. Remember, most natural blondes have light brown, not blonde eyebrows. You’re basically done as soon as your eyebrows turn a pleasant chestnut brown color.
- Finally, you can repeat the number of bleach applications for the second eyebrow, leaving the bleach on for just one minute at a time.
However, it is possible to discover how to lighten your brows without bleach using the below methods;
- How to lighten eyebrow using hydrogen peroxide. If you don’t want to use bleach creme, or you want to just try out what lighter brows would be like, try using 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Dip a cotton swab into the liquid solution, and apply it to the areas of your eyebrow you’d like to lighten.
- Hydrogen peroxide is an easily obtained, inexpensive product that’s available in drug stores, pharmacies, or with first aid products.
- Leave it on for a few minutes the first time you apply it, then wipe it off. If you want, reapply every day, which will result in a gradual lightening of your eyebrows.
- How to lighten eyebrows with chamomile tea. If you prefer using natural products over chemicals, try combining chamomile tea with lemon juice. To make the tea, pour a cup of boiling water over a chamomile tea bag and allow to steep for 1 hour. Mix in an equal portion of lemon juice, and stir well.
- Apply with a cotton swab to your eyebrows.
- Repeat every day to gradually lighten your eyebrows
- Color your brows with a pencil or gel. A brow pencil a few shades lighter than your current eyebrow shade will make your eyebrows appear lighter. If your eyebrows are dark brown, try penciling in a warm light brown.
- You can also use lighter colored eyeshadows around your eyebrows to maintain a lighter look.
- Brow gel that’s several shades lighter than your current shade can also create the effect of a lighter eyebrow.
You May Also Like: